I did a list at this time last year with my top 5 randomnesses. It sort of felt like cheating then and doing one this year also feels a little like cheating. What I will offer before I impart the Top 5 Randomnesses of 2021 is this little something from a Best Of list in a New York Times email:
‘I also want to know the best ideas people had, the best advice they received, the most radical changes to their routines, the best walks they took or scents they smelled or conversations they had.’
I thought that was cool. Think about it for a second… What was the best advice you got from someone? The most genuinely interesting conversation? Your best idea?
Now that I’ve shared maybe something at least a little useful, here then is the Top 5. Different than last year, these aren’t necessarily mine. They’re based on the responses I received from you all. So this year’s list isn’t completely arbitrary. Only a little.
- There’s this one about Elaine Benes from Seinfeld and exclamation points.
- Or this more recent one about giving, how it’s awkward and how it really shouldn’t be.
- There’s the one about just going and worrying about how to get there on the way.
- One I catch myself remembering on a fairly regular basis about past vs. present tense.
- Finally, another admittedly favorite of mine about a UPS guy and what I call The Power of One.
With that, let’s kick 2021 into the rearview, bid it farewell, and look forward to the opportunity a new calendar on the wall may bring each of us.