I’d say 80% of these emails somehow miraculously come about the week I write them. Here’s a little secret: when something strikes me as random, I jot it down to possibly use later. So the other 20%… yep, are from those times I jotted something down. This is one of those occasions. I guess it was a busy, not-very-random-kind-of-week.
It’s going to start with a quote I came across a few months ago that struck me and then quickly digress from there. I hope you enjoy this randomness.
The quote, then…
WHAT YOU GIVE, WRITE IT DOWN IN THE SAND. WHAT YOU RECEIVE, CARVE IT IN A ROCK.
~ Henryk Górecki
He mentioned it in the NPR interview linked above. I first came across Górecki when watching Terrence Malick’s Tree of Life. A haunting, epic, beautiful movie. In it, Malick uses his Symphony of Sorrowful Songs.
While looking for an image to go with this post, I discovered a version with Beth Gibbons of Portishead singing the final movement. Holy. Cow. The whole piece is slow, also haunting, also epic. The seventeen minutes of her rendition is definitely worth some undivided attention.
That’s a whole lot of random links. Oh, and a quote.